Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Carpe Diem

I can't believe it's been over a month since Mt. Hood, and at the same time I can't believe it hasn't been a year since Mt. Hood.  I promise race reports are on the way, they were some resume builders for sure.  After flying back from Nationals, I took a week completely off the bike to just sleep and recover (and get over the sinus crud I picked up somewhere en route to Nats).

As I've said on facebook, big news is on the way, and I promise I'll spill the beans soon enough.

Anyways, while I'm formulating the race reports in my head, I'll share the song I've been stuck on for nearly two weeks now.  It's from a genre of music that most don't want to acknowledge, but the lyrics are amazing.  August Burns Red is one of my favorite bands, and their most recent release steps up their game once more.

The song is called 'Carpe Diem', and I think you can guess why I relate to it:

----

I’ve thrown away all of my outside distractions.
I’m diving headfirst to chase a dream
that I won’t let go.

It’s worthless- a waste of time. This goal is out of
reach. You better fall back in line.


This is what I need. You are what I need. I
need motivation to prove you wrong, and I will
prove you wrong.

What makes you think that you are different? How can
you chase these dreams? They’ve become a chore.


I know I’m close. I’m almost there. Just a
little more, and I will prevail through what
you call “ignorance.” I will prevail. Now I’ve
chased this dream to do what I love, and I
wouldn’t trade it for a thing. Now I’ve chased
this dream, and I made it out alive. I wouldn’t
trade it for a thing. I threw away what naysayers
say, and started on a race that I had to win
for myself.

And you proved me wrong, you proved me wrong.


All I’ve learned is teaching me more. All
I know is driving me on.